Home | New | Models | Palmtops | Components | Discussion | Submit        

Running Fedora Core 3 Linux on an IBM ThinkPad T30

back to lelandmyrick.com

last updated: 1/4/2005

Machine: IBM ThinkPad T30 type 2366-FBU
768 MB RAM
Mobile Intel Pentium 4M CPU 2.20GHz

lspci output:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82845 845 (Brookdale) Chipset Host Bridge (rev 04)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82845 845 (Brookdale) Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 04)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM USB (Hub #1) (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM USB (Hub #2) (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM USB (Hub #3) (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 42)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801CAM ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801CAM IDE U100 (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]
02:00.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1520 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
02:00.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1520 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
02:02.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset (rev 01)
02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller (rev 42)

The install:
Download and burned the iso images onto CDs. The current images contained kernel 2.6.9-1.667; however, I immediately updated to kernel 2.6.9-1.681_FC3 to avoid acpi problems with that kernel.
(I don't know whether or not the problem would have popped up, but it did with an IBM ThinkPad T22 that I installed the 2.6.9-1.667 kernel on a few days earlier--with the T22 I had to download and compile the 2.6.10 kernel to keep acpi from hanging the system at shutdown)

I bought the T30 new, so it had a Windows XP Pro installation that I wiped since I don't use Windows at all and won't need to dual boot.

Custom install.

Sound:
Sound card detected. No problems

Network:
The Intel ethernet controller worked right away. For the Intersil wireless card (Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset), it was detected also, but I ran 'neat' and deleted the profile for eth1 because I couldn't find a quick way to add my WEP info. When adding a profile, it was easy to add my WEP access point info.

Monitor:
1024 x 768

Power Management:
ACPI works fine, but there's a problem with the Gnome battery applet, and I prefer the Gnome desktop right now, so there isn't a battery charge indicator out of the box. I tried booting in KDE and the battery life indicator seemed to work fine with KDE. ACPI actually works though, and I downloaded acpitool and installed it--great little command-line tool. As mentioned earlier, I was concerned with ACPI and the 2.6.9 kernel because of my experience installing it on a T22, but I didn't have any problems. The ACPI problem with hanging on shutdown is a known bug with the 2.6.9 kernel and some systems.

Internal Modem:
Detected but I don't use it, so haven't gone any farther trying to configure it.

CD-R/W, DVD & floppy:
All worked, but hotswapping caused a system freeze. Downloaded Zine and Zine-ui and successfully tested DVD playing.

Final Comments:
Fedora Core 3 installed very cleanly on this ThinkPad T30 and needed little tweaking to get all the major features working.

Cheap Laptop Rugged Laptop Case Gaming Laptop Lenovo Linux Laptop
Linux on Laptops is copyright © linux-on-laptops.com
Privacy Statement  Contact us at linuxonlaptops (at) gmail.com
  Advertise on linux-on-laptops.com

No Warranties: This information is provided "as is" without any warranty, condition, or representation of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to, any warranty respecting non-infringement, and the implied warranties of conditions of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. All logos or trademarks on this site are the property of their respective owner. In no event shall linux-laptop.net, linux-on-laptops.com, or any directors, trustees, associates, or employees thereof be liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental, consequential or other damages howsoever caused whether arising in contract, tort, or otherwise, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of the information contained on this web site.